Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Reading Tree Books for Charity

I stumbled upon this wonderful charity called the Reading Tree books for Charity while I was looking at the Childrens Reading Foundation's website. When I read their mission statement I couldn't believe it. Here is what it said.....

"We have two missions: First, we keep books from contributing to the saturation of our nation's landfills. Second, we collect books from families who no longer want them, and deliver them to children, families, schools and libraries that desperately need them.
Did you know that readiness levels for kids entering school can be directly tied to income levels?

Did you know that 61% of low income families have no children's books in the home?
The books are out there. Thousands upon thousands end up in landfills each year. You can help us use these books to change the lives of kids in your community - and around the world."
I read this on the "Our Mission" portion of the website and I had NO Idea. So for all who read this blog and more I am going to issue a challenge... Since there are no book drops here in Utah (at least according to the website there aren't) I am going to issue a book drive to all who read this blog and more. if you have ANY books that you don't read or want anymore instead of throwing them away. I would like to ask you to donate them to this cause....to help low income families, library's or anyone else who needs them receive books and to try and stop illiteracy. I have emailed the reading tree to find out more information about how we can help and what we can do to have a book drive. When I find out more information I will post it to let you know. Until then please keep this post in mind. Thank You!

No comments: