Thursday, November 26, 2015

I Have Lived a Thousand Years: Growing Up in the Holocaust

I have lived a thousand years growing up in the holocaust: By Livia Bitton-Jackson

As a young 11 year old girl; Livia was only dreaming about her schooling and how she longed to go to Budapest to study. WW2 was raging all over the world, but Livia only knew her small village, her family and her schooling. But rumors started to circulate and things started to change. Their village was sent to the ghetto and then 13 year old Livia was introduced to Auschwitz. Being separated from her father back in the ghetto, once again her and her mother were separated from family. Livia watched  as her brother was sent with other men to an opposite side as she followed her aunt and mother with hundreds of other women, as they we sorted and re-sorted into the concentration camp.

I don't know why; but I love learning about the holocaust and especially reading the survivors stories. Each new stories gives a behind the scenes account of what these people suffered through during this horrific time in our history. I am inspired by their courage, strength and above all their faith. Like any of these survival stories I always feel changed after I read their experiences and a sense of reverence always washes over me. I never feel like I do these books justice in my reviews. But then again, its hard to convey the experiences I  have while I read these historic accounts and its even harder to explain the impact it leaves on my heart and soul. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in learning the stories of these wonderfully strong people., who are the survivors of the Holocaust.

No comments: