Monday, July 12, 2010

Island of the Blue Dolphins

Island of the Blue Dolphins. By: Scott O' Dell-

I was going through a bunch of things while I was cleaning and found this book. I haven't read it since I was in middle School and thought it would be fun to pick up and read again. this book is a classic that I think everyone should read at least once. It is great...but at the same time I forgot how sad it is too and for some reason it hit me really hard when I read it this last time. i guess when we get older we see things from a much different perspective. For example when I read as a brand new teen it probably didn't bother me that much because I couldn't think how hard it would be to lose a parent or sibling. My parents were young they weren't going to die and my siblings at that time...well I loved them but I didn't exactly get along with them. Now as I read it over my parents are older and I don't know what I am going to do when they do pass on. Still I think this book is a classic and should be read by all.

About the book:

"Karana, a Native American girl, is accidentally left alone when her people abandon their island home off the coast of California. After a failed attempt to leave the island in a leaky canoe, Karana decides to build a house and learn to hunt while waiting to be rescued. Her isolation from humans teaches her how to co-exist peacefully with the local wildlife, even the wild dog she considers her worst enemy. After many years, missionaries come to the island, and Karana, yearning for human companionship, goes with them to the mainland. A fictional reconstruction of a true story, Island of the Blue Dolphins depicts a character whose courage and determination help her survive against nearly impossible odds."

No comments: