Friday, June 3, 2022

Maus -My Father Bleeds History

 

Maus Book 1-My Father Bleeds History  BY: Art Spiegelman.

I have been wanting to read this book for awhile, so I was very happy when I saw that it was my textbook for this semesters class.

The way he drew this book is very interesting, with mice representing the Jews, pigs as Christians and cats as the Nazi's. I think this distinction could help young readers identify and follow along with the story. I have read many survivor stories from the Holocaust, but this is the first one that I have felt apart of the actual storytelling like I was present during this telling. This may be because of the format of the book, being a graphic novel, or just with the way the book is structured. Art Spiegelman seems to take you on the journey with him as he talks to his father about the war. Its so intimate, personal and raw. I think that's why I feel like I am sitting or walking right along side them and I can almost hear his father Vladek while he tells his story. I have really enjoyed learning about Vladek and Anja Spiegelman's holocaust story and I am anxious to start book 2 to learn more.

No comments: