Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Braiding Sweetgrass

 

Braiding Sweetgrass By: Robin Wall Kimmerer

This was a recommendation by my husband. It was a very interesting and eye opening book to a whole new culture that I don't know much about. It was also interesting hearing about some of her tribes folklore, legends and religion and how it so closely aligns with some of the same stories and beliefs that I grew up with and believe in. I also learned a lot about various plants, trees, flowers, etc. and their varying attributes. Honestly it did make me a little sad that I am unable to have my garden anymore. Listening to her stories of spending time in her garden with her kids did make me homesick for my garden and for my families garden growing up as a kid. It is definitely something I am really hoping I can have again in the near future (5 year plan).

I really enjoyed her relation of the legend of the windigo to modern greed and discontentment. That was really very eye opening and made me reevaluate where I stand and if I am letting the windigo take over meand my family. This book was also a great reminder of gratitude and being thankful for what you have. I am very glad I read this book.

No comments: