Friday, September 4, 2009

The Bad Beginning

I have been wanting to read these books for awhile now, but I wanted to first collect all 13 books....yup 13. I found books 1-4 at a swap meet for a $1 each and thought that would be a good place to start. After finding that I had left the book I was reading in the car... that was now with James at work...in Salt Lake. I started to look for another book to read for the 1 1/2 hour bus ride into work. So I finally grabbed this book. I have already seen the movie so I knew the basic story of these books. It was a lot easier read then what I thought but I really enjoyed how it went into a little more detail with the characters. I especially liked the character Justice Strauss a lot more in the book. You see how she really tried to help the Baudelaire kids a lot more and how she was a safe haven and basically the children's way to stay sane while living with Count Olaf. I do admit that when Count Olaf was introduce in the book I did see Jim Carrey most of the time. :p I am a little torn with how much the author "talks" in the book. Sometimes it's quite humorous and other times annoying. I think this was just an added thing for these books though. It made it feel more like someone was telling you the story rather than you reading it. Overall I really enjoyed this book and look forward to reading the rest in the series. :)

No comments: