Monday, September 28, 2009

The Reptile Room

The reptile room is book 2 in Lemony Snickets a series of unfortunate events. I liked this one more than the first. I still enjoyed the characters both old and newly introduced, I did find myself a little more frustrated at the different situations in this book, but I can see how for a young adult book, kids who read this would be able to identify with the Baudelaire children in the sense that maybe they always feel like adults are not listening and that they need to come up with a way to save the day. In my children's literature class my professor told me that this fact is key to writing children's novels. When a child reads a book they find it a lot less satisfying if an adult comes up with a plan to save the day and the kids in the book just follow along, and when trying to introduce reading to children they might be less interested in reading at all. but when you give them a book that they can live through the characters and these characters come up with their own way of solving the mystery or catching the bad guy then they will want to read more and more. I have really enjoyed these stories so far and look forward to continuing with them.

No comments: